Critical Reflection

Module learning

At the start of the course, I have set goals to improve on my public speaking skills by being a more engaging and confident speaker whenever I am presenting and to appear more professional when delivering a presentation by using appropriate body language, when necessary, as well as not having to refer back to the slides. In the past, I would prepare a script beforehand and then read it on the spot or even read off the slides when I forgot what I was about to say during a presentation. This would show the audience how unprepared I was and that I had limited knowledge about the content. I was so used to reading off scripts which is why I did not put in the effort to understand the contents and hence lacking in confidence while presenting. However, the latest presentation that I did last week came off as a pleasant experience as I came to realise that I can be a confident speaker if enough preparation has been made. With no script and limited words on the slides, it enables me to engage more with my audience and make sure that they are listening to me. Through this module, I have learned how to apply critical thinking using Paul-Elder framework, 7Cs of communication, paraphrasing, summarising, APA 7th Edition citations, writing a thesis statement, reader’s response and report, delivering a confident presentation, and how to give unbiased feedback and to receive feedback well. All these techniques help to improve my writing and speaking skills, think critically on the topic I am researching about and have impartial views. The key takeaway is being able to learn more and improve through peer reviews, as we often reflect on ourselves when giving others reviews and also learn more about our strengths as well as shortcomings through the feedbacks given.

 

Project learning

I have also done technical report as a team and I felt that my group and I had great teamwork. There was a setback at the start when one of the members drop out and I had to be reassigned to another group. I had to adapt to the new group fast and know what topic they are researching. I managed to work well with them, and my teammates are all friendly towards me which I really appreciate. For the report, everyone will be given a task to do, and we will review it all together afterward. If we managed to finish up the assigned task earlier, we would then go around helping the rest of the teammates. This allows us to complete the tasks efficiently within the time frame. As an individual, I usually do my things last minute, however, my teammates are very fast-paced and would do their things ahead of time. In order not to be lagging behind, I have changed my pacing to do my things earlier and faster. I feel that this is a skill I should learn from them, as I feel better when things get done earlier and I could focus on my exams. When preparing for the presentation, we made sure that everyone has an equal part to present. We would do several trial runs of presentations, and give each other feedback and reassure each other that it would be okay. Due to the current Covid-19 situation, I have also learned how to have effective zoom meetings instead of having to meet face to face.

I have learned a lot in this module such as working in a team efficiently, communicating with one another efficiently, and being confident when presenting. I will be bringing these soft skills with me not only throughout the university but throughout my entire life. I would like to take this opportunity to thank Professor Brad as he makes the lesson interesting for me and gives me the platform to speak up in class. This has built up my confidence in speaking up in class gradually. I love how the class is organised and I managed to have interactions with most of my classmates as I remember our groups are being always being swapped around. Thank you for the memorable classes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self-Introduction Letter

The Importance of Communication Skills for Engineers