Self-Introduction Letter

Subject: Self-Introduction to Professor Brad Blackstone

Dear Professor Brad,

I am Coco from your effective communication class. I hope this self-introduction letter serves you well in understanding me a little bit more. I have graduated and attained a diploma in energy systems and management at Singapore Polytechnic in 2018, and currently pursuing a bachelor's in engineering in sustainable infrastructure engineering (building services). After graduating from polytechnic, I have worked in the aircon industry for two and a half years. I decided to pursue a higher level of education to expand my knowledge as I would like to learn about how air conditioning systems can be more energy efficient.

On numerous occasions in my polytechnic, I will have to work in a group for projects. From all the experiences of working in a team, I would say one of my communication strengths is to be able to communicate and work well with different individuals by expressing my ideas clearly and confidently. I receive feedback well and am willing to reflect on myself whether it is a critic or compliment to improve myself.

However, when it comes to public speaking, I tend to be nervous at times. I would stutter, forget my lines, and often have to refer back to the slides when presenting. I think one of the causes is that I did not have enough preparation for the presentation contents.

By the end of this module, I would like to improve on my public speaking skills by being a more engaging and confident speaker whenever I am presenting. Furthermore, I want to appear more professional when delivering a presentation by using appropriate body language when necessary and not having to refer back to my slides.

As an introvert, I am currently trying my best to step out of my comfort zone and be daring to speak up more during the class. I believe participating in the class will help me to build up my confidence in speaking. I look forward to learning more and improving myself gradually during your class every week!

Best regards,

Coco

Comments

  1. Hi Coco! Hope you can revolutionise air-conditioning systems as they can be really harmful to our environment. Looking at your paragraph on public speaking, I believe that everyone can choose how much time they want to allocate to prepare for their presentation. Just to clarify, do you mean you want to learn techniques on how to properly prepare for your presentations instead? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Coco, your letter seems to be well structured and there is no break in its flow as well. I too consider myself an introvert despite not having any discomfort with speaking with strangers I do tend to keep to myself a lot and I can't keep a conversation alive either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Coco

    Your letter presents your points well and has a good structures. I believe when talking about your past education and work, you should use past tense instead. Perhaps mixing up the sentence structure would make it a more interesting read?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Coco,

    Thank you for this detailed and fluent letter. You’ve covered the scope of the assignment well and managed to demonstrate quite a bit about what makes you special. Among others points, we readers learn how your experience working in the aircon line bolstered your interest in building services engineering at SIT.

    It's also good to see that doing group work in poly has enhanced your social skills. In this essay in general, you do an admirable job of explaining your comm skills strength, being a confident and reflective communicator, and the perceived weakness, not being a strong presenter. These could be seen as two sides of the same coin, with your confidence levels needed as you strengthen your presenataion skills. We will certainly work on your public speaking, and I'm glad to see you have already embraced opportunities to do so in class. Of course, you being a good oral communicator will, in fact, be even more important as we move to Zoom lessons.

    At the same time, in this letter you generally express yourself with fine language fluency, which makes reading it a pleasure. There are only one issue with verb tense:
    -- On numerous occasions in my polytechnic, I will have to work in a group for projects. > (past or present?)

    I look forward to reading more from you as the term progresses.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Importance of Communication Skills for Engineers

Critical Reflection